Today’s Gender of the Day: A Tiny Frog
"I think all the pressure that I put on myself has been paralyzing. When I graduated from high school, a lot of people wrote in my yearbook: ‘You’re going to do great things,’ or ‘I know you’re going to make it big.’ I realized recently that with all the time I spent trying to figure out what my ‘big thing’ was going to be, I passed over a lot of small things that could have really added up. The moment I became content with taking small steps, I started moving forward again."
(Mexico City, Mexico)
A friend just sent us a link to an event created by two young girls after our own hearts. I’ll let their father explain. Leanna is a 5-year-old girl who loves superheroes. When shewears her superhero clothes to kindergarten, though, the boys tell her that superheroes are “for boys.” She has even started to wear her jacket all day to keep from being hassled about it. (For the record, princesses aren’t “for girls,” either.)
Her 7-year-old sister Adalina has declared Wednesday, Oct. 1, to be Wear Your Superheroes Day…
Teachers are often unaware of the gender distribution of talk in their classrooms. They usually consider that they give equal amounts of attention to girls and boys, and it is only when they make a tape recording that they realize that boys are dominating the interactions. Dale Spender, an Australian feminist who has been a strong advocate of female rights in this area, noted that teachers who tried to restore the balance by deliberately ‘favouring’ the girls were astounded to find that despite their efforts they continued to devote more time to the boys in their classrooms. Another study reported that a male science teacher who managed to create an atmosphere in which girls and boys contributed more equally to discussion felt that he was devoting 90 per cent of his attention to the girls. And so did his male pupils. They complained vociferously that the girls were getting too much talking time.
In other public contexts, too, such as seminars and debates, when women and men are deliberately given an equal amount of the highly valued talking time, there is often a perception that they are getting more than their fair share. Dale Spender explains this as follows:
“The talkativeness of women has been gauged in comparison not with men but with silence. Women have not been judged on the grounds of whether they talk more than men, but of whether they talk more than silent women.”
In other words, if women talk at all, this may be perceived as ‘too much’ by men who expect them to provide a silent, decorative background in many social contexts.
BREAKING: There has been unconfirmed reports of a police officer killed in Ferguson, MO. Police are getting into riot gear, and tensions in Ferguson are at a climax yet again.
- There are about 80 protesters. Patricia Bynes is here too. #ferguson
- Apparently police are being instructed to get in riot gear. #Ferguson
- Bad situation. Reports of a cop killed. Angry cops, angry people in #Ferguson.
- Nothing confirmed on massive police presence. Cops arriving from both directions on w Florissant. Hearing rumors of shooting. #Ferguson
- No picture can do justice to the number of police. No less than 50 cars. #Ferguson
- Unconfirmed Reports of cop shot in #Ferguson. Multiple PD on scene. #EMS leaves lights and sirens with police escort.
- St. Ann, St John PD, MO State Troopers, Normandy, Berkinridge, STL County all on West Florissant by the Conoco
- BREAKING: Officer Shot in #Ferguson please stay away from that area, they say around QT they got K9 and helicopter
- Apparently suspect with shotgun ran into woods. Neighborhood is closed off. #Ferguson
This is real, you asshole. This is happening.
—Myra, The Mineola Twins
i’m so fucking pissed off at this picture
wwhat the fuck….
I FUCKING LOVE THIS
oh my god thank you for the second perspective, it honestly makes me feel way less stressed about this image, you have no idea
The other evening Mike and I chased the sunset and ended up visiting these horses. The brown one came over quite cheerfully and let us pet its nose. :)